Halloween and Day of the Dead 2018

I'm a huge fan of Halloween. Every year I have high ambitions to make it great and then I usually drop the ball. Well not this year! Or at least, not all the way this year! I finally put together this bat wall art project.


I stole the idea from a former roommate. She made this for our house one year and I finally sat down and made it for my house. It involved a lot of tracing and cutting, which is basically the extent of my artistic ability.

On the actual day of Halloween, we had fun celebrating! I went to work as Buttercup from The Princess Bride and won an award at our work Halloween party. J's school doesn't allow him to dress up, so he went as a teacher to work.


We don't get many trick-or-treaters at our door, so we splurged and got full sized candy bars. Our door only rang four times, so we still had about 1/3 of this bowl left by the end of the night.

Our Halloween tradition is to buy a Papa Murphy's pumpkin shaped pizza (because I'm a sucker for gimmicks like that) and watch a scary movie that J picks out. He likes scary movies, and this is the one time a year I'll watch one. This year's pick was "A Quiet Place" which is probably more suspenseful than scary, but still was an excellent movie. J always picks out great movies!

J is more of a fan of Day of the Dead, the Mexican holiday. We've decided to start celebrating it alongside Halloween, as it has some wonderful family history ties that we would like to focus on in our family. The decorations were meager.

We also watched Coco on Day of the Dead (Nov. 1), but we wound up falling asleep about 30 minutes into it. We're old like that! In future years, I would like to have a better ofrenda and tell more family history stories, but this was a start. We'll get better at our family traditions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Restaurant Roulette-Sumoritto

Demolition Derby