Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Alone

At work, we keep copies of Reader's Digest in the bathroom. This means I spend a lot of time reading short, inspiring articles. One article I recently read quoted an interviewee saying, "Anything that has the power to make us feel alone has a greater power to connect."

Brilliant.

I could not stop thinking about this idea. I spend a lot of time feeling alone. I live in a different state than my family. My roommates are wonderful, but they are busy with their own lives. I'm not dating anyone. I make so many mistakes and have so many failures.

But then I have nights like tonight. I spend time with a friend and I open up. Turns out, I'm not so weird and alone. We have so many similarities. As the evening carries on, I realize she is my kindred spirit. We connect because of our aloneness.

No comments:

Post a Comment