Monday, January 7, 2013

Movie love

Ever since I was a little kid, I loved watching movies. I have such strong memories and emotions mixed with movies. When I was six, I can remember running out of the room during Dumbo to hide and cry because Dumbo and his mom were separated. My mom found me and comforted me. I remember watching The Lion King in the theater and having to sit on the steps in the auditorium because the only seat left was in the very back against the wall and my little nine year old self couldn't see the screen. I remember watching Catch Me If You Can and days later still getting excited over the feats Frank Abagnale pulled off. Or even watching Remember the Titans in the movie theater three times (my first time going to a movie in the theaters repeatedly) because it was fantastic and because Ryan Gosling was super cute. (The second reason may or may not have held more weight!)

When I was a teenager, I told my dad I wanted to be a movie critic someday. He laughed at the idea, and told me everybody is a critic. As the years went by, I ultimately lost sight of that goal, but I never stopped loving movies and I never stopped analyzing them. When I was in college, I took a class called American Film in History. It met once a week, for four hours each time. We began class by talking about a specific decade, starting with the 1910s and ending with the 1960s and the events that shaped that decade. Then we would watch a top box office earner for the decade. Then we talked about what that movie said about that decade, why moviegoers chose to pay for that movie time and time again. My professor for that class was James D'Arc, a man who knows everything about movies. I mostly admired him, but partially just wanted his job.

One thing I took away from that class, what I still look for in the movies I watch today, is the ability of movies to hold up a mirror to the viewer and then invite them to be a better person. Really, isn't that the point of all art? I'm delighted to start this blog because it will be my little way of fulfilling a childhood dream. What a way to make 2013 a little bit better than last year!


No comments:

Post a Comment